What you’ll be doing...
You’ll be supporting a client group and providing accounting services. You’ll also be validating some of our systems and processes, plus giving advice to our team members and colleagues outside of Finance. And when we’ve got a big project in Accounting, we’ll look to you to run it. Come help us keep our Finance team running better every day—because here, better matters.
- Supporting the director with accounting, analyzing, and reporting on general ledger transactions.
- Leading and directing a team of accountants responsible for assisting with the month end close, financial statement analysis and other tasks related to the maintenance and/or reconciliation of accounting records.
- Coordinating closely with the other finance teams, ensuring complete and accurate accruals and simplifying processes.
- Supporting the monthly close process by providing advice on complex accounting issues.
- Performing quantitative and qualitative analysis in unique or challenging situations, and then recommending appropriate accounting treatment based on the results.
- Running complex projects for the function to improve effectiveness and accuracy.
- Acting as a subject matter expert on complex accounting activities.
- This position will also take a more leading role in the company’s efforts to comply with the requirements of Sarbanes Oxley.
- Possessing sufficient accounting acumen for reviewing accounting staff work and analyzing output for appropriate accounting treatment, completeness and accuracy related to general accounting.
- Interacting with stakeholders from within and outside of the Accounting organization, responding in an accurate and timely fashion to inquiries related to the group’s activities.
- Maintaining on‐going interaction with client groups and other functional areas relating to objectives, deliverables, resource allocation and related matters.
- Leading reviews for accuracy of journal entries, account reconciliations, and accounting classifications assigned to various records.
- Leading accounting projects to ensure compliance and adherence with controls for internal policies and external regulations.
- Directing efforts in developing, implementing, and maintaining systems, procedures and policies for the group; leveraging system and technology knowledge to drive simplification efforts.
- Planning and structuring work activities and setting deadlines for direct reports, monitoring the progress and results of team activities.
What we’re looking for...
You’re organized and practical, and great managing the day-to-day without losing sight of the big picture. You know accounting inside out, but you’re also an effective and inspiring manager. People look to you for your expertise—but they look up to you for your leadership.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or six or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of FASB, SEC requirements and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Experience using Microsoft Office (including Excel), PeopleSoft, or SAP.
- Knowledge of accounting systems and applications including SAP, PeopleSoft, CPM/Essbase, Hyperion Financial Management, Webfocus or Blackline.
Even better if you have:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Economics.
- CPA certification (or are in the process of getting certified).
- Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Previous management or supervisory experience.
- Experience working with Structured Query Language (SQL).
- Experienced in the design and implementation of accounting systems and applications.
- Advanced understanding of report query and design.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
- Job # 462618