We are currently recruiting a MEP Cost Manager to join a dynamic cost consulting team. Reporting to the Manager of the Program and Construction Management Business Line, The MEP Cost Manager will Lead the management and productions of all the necessary components need to provide, in an accurate manner, the anticipated costs of the MEP portions of any and all project.
This position is responsible for Leading a team of MEP Cost estimators in the coordinating of the mechanical, plumbing, fire protection, electrical, process and utilities aspects of the project with other disciplines to assure complete scope coverage. The ideal candidate should have experience in cost estimating, quantity surveying and/or construction management.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a positive proactive approach to the role, and will be committed to delivering customer service excellence, with good commercial results.
- Lead Review construction plans and specifications during preconstruction to complete quantity take-offs and prepare estimates for all MEP scopes from schematic through final design for new construction and renovation projects
- Prepare value engineering, cost option and cost strategy estimates
- Prepare independent post contract estimates, including reporting differences in scope, quantities and pricing from contractor’s estimate
- Lead the MEP Estimating Team to perform plan and specification analysis, takeoff and pricing of various types of construction projects
- Delegates leads for individual for specific projects
- Review estimates prepared by MEP Estimating Team, prior to final review
- Compiles and analyzes data on all factors that influence costs, such as material, labor, equipment, and profit margins
- Evaluates cost estimating deliverables prepared by Design team, for cost containment
- Acquires and evaluates historical and vendor cost data for the development of cost estimates and price recommendations
- Accurately forecasts costs of future projects and changes to existing projects
- Prepares technical evaluations, cost estimating draft reports, memos, and letters and presents recommendations to management and client
- Attend client meetings
- Participate in design meetings/workshops, including presenting estimates to the internal or external clients
- Participate in Value Engineering studies, reconciliations and negotiations with contractors
- Lead the MEP team in Claims and Change order reviews and negotiations, valuations of work in progress reports from contractor draw requests
- Lead other MEP cost-related tasks as which could include review of estimates prepared by other consultants
- Lead training and mentoring of the MEP Estimating Team members
- Other duties as assigned
- University degree or equivalent
- 10+ years’ relevant experience in construction cost estimating of a variety of building types from program, conceptual, schematic, design development and construction document stages of design in elemental and CSI format for all architectural, structural, and civil components of new construction and renovation projects. Proficiency in both Mechanical and Electrical estimating is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with all MEP trades is required.
- Demonstrated experience with change order and claims Analysis.
- Familiarity with CIQS/OIQS, Uniformat, and Masterformat Estimating Standards considered an Asset
- Experience working as a manager of a small team of less than 10 people
- Prepares fee proposal and participates in business development efforts by providing service and methodology write-ups where required
- Review contract documents and contract modifications to determine scope of work and cost allowances for scope changes.
- Assist with the determination of merit
- Review the scope specified within the proposal to ensure it is specification compliant
- Review labor rates to ensure conformance to the contract requirements
- Review labor productivity to ensure that the labor hours are in conformance with contract working restrictions, overtime is appropriate, etc.
- Review quantities and ensure there is a fair and reasonable representation of additional scope, as well as possible credits
- Review pre-purchased material or equipment and/or equipment rental rates against fair and reasonable pricing references
- Knowledge and experience of preparing cost plans at various stages of the design on large scale transportation, residential and commercial projects, including change management and when necessary, resolution of contractual claims
- Capable of interpreting design drawings and developing a cost plan from the early conceptual stage and through to pre-tender submission
- Ability to use Computer based Take-off Software to prepare cost estimates in accordance with the CIQS standard method of measurement, in both elemental and trade format
- PQS accreditation of the Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
At AECOM, employee's safety and security are our top Safeguarding core value. All employees are expected to set the highest level of safety expectation in their work, display the highest level of safe behavior, and actively participate in AECOM's Safety For Life Program. SH&E is a part of our company culture and participation is required for all employees.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES: Please note that AECOM does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, AECOM will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, AECOM explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of AECOM.