The Senior Manager Network Architecture and Engineering will lead a North American team of Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to align, develop and deliver contemporary network designs, roadmaps, solutions, standards and services that meet current and future business requirements using emerging and cutting edge network capabilities and functionality. The Senior manager is a highly skilled technical leadership position that involves intricate knowledge of both Local and Wide-area networks along with data center networking, SDN, wireless, network security, network & performance management, and enterprise QoS. The position is responsible for managing the network across 1500 hundred locations in North America including Staples data centers, remote sites, and retail stores. The manager is responsible for managing the Network Architecture, Network Security, Engineering and the Network monitoring teams along with our Managed Service Partners.
- Drive and deliver a comprehensive enterprise network architecture and strategy that encompasses the entire network service portfolio across all Staples locations.
- Lead a team of Subject Matter Experts to develop and deliver a comprehensive and contemporary North American network architecture and strategy
- Drive the evolution of architectural standards and designs using consistent service standards that are agile, scalable and easy to maintain
- Create compelling business cases around problems, outcomes, risks, benefits and the financial justification required to execute on them
- Ensure network solutions meet cyber safety, compliance and regulatory requirements of the business
- Ensure solutions conform to network standards, are documented, kept current and keep pace with business demands
- Ensure network solutions are highly available, redundant, fault tolerant, diverse and affordable
- Create an Automate first culture that builds in network optimization and automation opportunities from the onset, and accelerates adoption and rollout plans in the existing infrastructure
- Oversee ‘Go-Live’ activities of any design deployment and transition into operational steady state.
- Review and approve major change management requests
- Provide technical and business input for IT infrastructure projects related to voice and security networking, and related technologies.
- Participate in large scale, multi-functional projects, including product development, merger and acquisition, and divestiture activities, with an open and creative mindset focused on delivering business solutions.
- Act as a trusted advisor with businesses, internal teams, supplier partners, end-users, and solution providers to ensure processes and tools are in place and/or are followed to support the environment and meet business needs
- Understand business processes, and assess business needs to assist with the development and deployment of network services
- Ensure compliance and support for regulation controlled systems
- Ensure service levels are defined, effective, measured and reported
- Continuously evaluate service levels and ensure results are oriented to customer satisfaction
- Identify delineation between Network Architecture, Operations and Application teams and route issues appropriately
- Ensure service improvements are defined via metrics, root cause analysis, problem management
- Assist in the governance and partnership with our external suppliers
- Partner with managed service suppliers to deliver services end to end under established SLAs
- Mentor different team members in areas of expertise
- Other responsibilities as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or Information Technology field
- 10+ years of equivalent work experience
- Experience managing multiple distributed teams.
- Industry Certifications such as CCNP/CCDP preferred
Skills, Abilities and Competencies Required
- 10+ years of experience in management of large scale networks in a distributed environment.
- Experience in retail environment a plus
- Strong understanding of network technologies in a design context, including: LAN (traditional STP plus fabric), ACI, SD-WAN, BGP/OSPF, Tunneling (GRE, IPSec), wireless, cloud networking (public and private), QoS/shaping, GSLB, Netflow/IPFIX, firewalls/WAF, IDS/IPS, NFV
- Experience with network management protocols and systems
- Experience with Cisco networking technologies
- Experience with network virtualization technologies
- Experience with wireless technologies
- Experience with TCP/IP and common network protocols
- Experience with routing, switching, and IP subnetting
- Experience working in an E-commerce setting preferred